Walk-up NMR user instructions for Bruker
Jump to navigation Jump to search
If you need to use a Bruker NMR instrument for a liquid sample, here are some instructions to get a quick spectrum of your sample. Samples for most Bruker high frequency magnets use regular 5mm NMR tubes.
Step by step
- log in to workstation.
- log in to TopSpin.
- type ej on the command line or click the eject button to eject the current sample that is in the magnet.
- remove the old sample from the top of the magnet.
- remove the old sample from the spinner.
- place your sample in the spinner.
- place the sample/spinner in the depth gauge.
- slide your sample down in the spinner until it hits the stop of the gauge.
- place the sample/spinner on top of the column of air on the magnet.
- go back to the workstation, type ij on the command line or click the insert button and wait for the sample to drop down into the probe.
- type lock on the command line.
- when the list of solvents appears, choose the one that your sample is in. Wait for locking.
- once the sample is locked, type topshim on the command line to shim the sample.
- while the sample is being automatically shimmed, type edc on the command line to create a new dataset.
- edc opens the window that sets everything for the experiment to run your sample (example here).
- The NAME field is usually a sample# from a logbook, while a description of the sample goes into the TITLE field.
- The Experiment field is where the pulse program is chosen. Each facility has their own program that is customized for their instrument.
- The other fields are usually left at default since they are set by the instrument administrator.
- Set the number of scans by typing ns in the command line.
- Type zg on the command line to start the run.
- When the run is finished, type efp, apk and absn to process into a spectrum.